Probe into Arakkonam train mishap begins
Chennai: The departmental probe into the
Arakkonam rail mishap that claimed 10 lives began here on Friday,
with the recording of statements including that of MEMU driver
Rajkumar, whose actions have come under the scanner after the
preliminary report suggested "human error".
"We have already seen him (Rajkumar) in the hospital. He
is injured, he is able to speak partly," Commissioner of
Railway Safety, SK Mittal, said.
"All the evidences will be examined in proper detail, all
the witnesses will be examined and we will submit the report
quite early," he said.
Southern Railway has asked the public to come forward and
give evidence till tomorrow if they have any knowledge
relating to the accident on Tuesday when the Mainline
Electrical Multiple Unit (MEMU) train rammed into a stationery
Rajkumar`s evidence assumes significance in the wake of
railway authorities saying the driver of the MEMU train had
jumped a few signals and ignored speed restrictions.
Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi had announced a
comprehensive probe to ascertain if the accident occurred due
to human error or technical fault.
Railway Board Chairman Vinay Mittal had said that
according to preliminary report it could be a human error.
"The driver (of MEMU train) apparently had passed a few
signals at yellow and a few at red also and has collided with
the passenger train waiting for signal clearance at a speed in
excess of 90 km per hour. Apparently just before the impact he
jumped out of the train," Southern Railway General Manager
Deepak Krishan had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof