Probe into Arakkonam train mishap begins
Chennai: The departmental probe into the
Arakkonam rail mishap that claimed 10 lives began here on Friday,
with the recording of statements including that of MEMU driver
Rajkumar, whose actions have come under the scanner after the
preliminary report suggested "human error".
"We have already seen him (Rajkumar) in the hospital. He
is injured, he is able to speak partly," Commissioner of
Railway Safety, SK Mittal, said.
"All the evidences will be examined in proper detail, all
the witnesses will be examined and we will submit the report
quite early," he said.
Southern Railway has asked the public to come forward and
give evidence till tomorrow if they have any knowledge
relating to the accident on Tuesday when the Mainline
Electrical Multiple Unit (MEMU) train rammed into a stationery
Rajkumar`s evidence assumes significance in the wake of
railway authorities saying the driver of the MEMU train had
jumped a few signals and ignored speed restrictions.
Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi had announced a
comprehensive probe to ascertain if the accident occurred due
to human error or technical fault.
Railway Board Chairman Vinay Mittal had said that
according to preliminary report it could be a human error.
"The driver (of MEMU train) apparently had passed a few
signals at yellow and a few at red also and has collided with
the passenger train waiting for signal clearance at a speed in
excess of 90 km per hour. Apparently just before the impact he
jumped out of the train," Southern Railway General Manager
Deepak Krishan had said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'