Probe into attack on Dalits transferred to CB-CID police
Dharmapuri: Tamil Nadu Government on Friday transferred to the Crime-Branch CID Police the case relating to the recent midnight attack on three Dalit colonies by caste Hindus in the district protesting an inter-caste marriage.
Officials said the case which was investigated by the local police had been transferred to CB-CID.
The announcement was welcomed by the Dalits of Natham Colony, Annanagar and Kondampatti who burst crackers.
A total of 268 houses were torched, 54 vehicles destroyed, jewels and valuables looted in the violence unleashed on Nov 7 by the Caste Hindus after a man committed suicide over his daugther marrying a Dalit man of Natham Colony.
After the attack came to light, police arrested more than 90 people and National Commission for SC/ST officials and leaders of various political parties visited the colonies and condemned the violence targeting the Dalits.
District Collector R.Lilly, Salem Range DIG Sanjay Kumar, City Commissioner Mahali, Superintendents of Police Asra Garg (Dharmapuri), M.Ashokumar (Krishnagiri) camped in the affected areas and restored normalcy.
Two polce personnel, including an Inspector, had been suspended while the DSP of the area shifted to Salem Range office pending inquiry into alleged failure of police to prevent the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?