Chennai: The Tamil Nadu government on Wednesday
said the licence of a fireworks factory in Sivakasi, where a
blaze had killed 10 persons last week, had been suspended and
a probe ordered into the matter.
Labour Minister S T Chellapandian, replying to a special
call attention motion brought in by Opposition parties in the
Assembly, said frequent review of fireworks units across the
state has also been ordered, especially in the wake of
increasing fire mishaps.
"A total of ten persons were killed, five on the spot and
the rest succumbed to injuries later. The licence of the unit
has been suspended and manufacturing of fireworks banned. We
have also ordered for a probe into the cause leading to the
mishap," he said.
A total of Rs 4.10 lakh, which included compensation from
both the state government and the factory management, had been
paid to the victims` kin, he said.
Frequent safety audits and awareness programmes are being
undertaken, the minister said.