Proceedings stayed against ex-Assembly Speaker R Avudayappan in TN
Madurai: The Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court on Wednesday stayed the proceedings of the defamation case in a lower court against former Assembly Speaker R Avudayappan and also dispensed with his personal appearance.
Avudayappan had moved the Madras High Court bench here to quash a defamation case pending against him in the Additional District and Sessions Court, Tirunelveli.
Justice CT Selvam ordered stay on proceedings.
The public prosecutor had filed a private complaint charging Avudayappan with having made defamatory statements against the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister at a public meeting in Palayamkottai in February.
In his petition, Avudayappan claimed that the cognizance of the case taken note of by the Principal Sessions Judge was illegal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez