Proceedings stayed against ex-Assembly Speaker R Avudayappan in TN
Madurai: The Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court on Wednesday stayed the proceedings of the defamation case in a lower court against former Assembly Speaker R Avudayappan and also dispensed with his personal appearance.
Avudayappan had moved the Madras High Court bench here to quash a defamation case pending against him in the Additional District and Sessions Court, Tirunelveli.
Justice CT Selvam ordered stay on proceedings.
The public prosecutor had filed a private complaint charging Avudayappan with having made defamatory statements against the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister at a public meeting in Palayamkottai in February.
In his petition, Avudayappan claimed that the cognizance of the case taken note of by the Principal Sessions Judge was illegal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!