Protest against setting up of thermal plant in TN
Mayiladuthurai: Local fishermen on Saturday began a relay fast protesting against setting up of a private thermal station at Tharangampadi in Nagapattinam district.
Officials said the fishermen had begun their agitation even as the company had started the works.
The fishermen claimed that their livelihood would be affected if the plant was set up,and started power generation. Farmers also feared that their fields would be affected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional