Protest in Coimbatore over arrest of Tamil lawyer in Sri Lanka
Coimbatore: Tamil activists here have condemned the arrest of a woman Tamil lawyer and her assistant in Sri Lanka for non-possession of proper documents.
Thirty-six-year old lawyers Kayal (alias) Angayarkanni along with her assistant, Thirumalai were arrested during their visit to Sri Lanka. The reason of her arrest is related to meeting with Tamils, kept behind bars.
Angayarkanni visited Sri Lanka with proper visa documents and met innocent Tamils living in Mullivaikal region. They have been behind bars since the 19th of this month. So far, the Sri Lankan government has not released them. We urge the Government of India to intervene in the matter to release the advocate and her assistant immediately. We also want the Government of Tamil Nadu to consult with the Central Government,” said Ramakrishnan, the state general secretary of the lawyer’s association.
Ramakrishnan said the protest was staged to put pressure on the state and central governments to secure the release of both persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?