Protest in Coimbatore over arrest of Tamil lawyer in Sri Lanka
Coimbatore: Tamil activists here have condemned the arrest of a woman Tamil lawyer and her assistant in Sri Lanka for non-possession of proper documents.
Thirty-six-year old lawyers Kayal (alias) Angayarkanni along with her assistant, Thirumalai were arrested during their visit to Sri Lanka. The reason of her arrest is related to meeting with Tamils, kept behind bars.
Angayarkanni visited Sri Lanka with proper visa documents and met innocent Tamils living in Mullivaikal region. They have been behind bars since the 19th of this month. So far, the Sri Lankan government has not released them. We urge the Government of India to intervene in the matter to release the advocate and her assistant immediately. We also want the Government of Tamil Nadu to consult with the Central Government,” said Ramakrishnan, the state general secretary of the lawyer’s association.
Ramakrishnan said the protest was staged to put pressure on the state and central governments to secure the release of both persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal