Protest in Coimbatore over arrest of Tamil lawyer in Sri Lanka
Coimbatore: Tamil activists here have condemned the arrest of a woman Tamil lawyer and her assistant in Sri Lanka for non-possession of proper documents.
Thirty-six-year old lawyers Kayal (alias) Angayarkanni along with her assistant, Thirumalai were arrested during their visit to Sri Lanka. The reason of her arrest is related to meeting with Tamils, kept behind bars.
Angayarkanni visited Sri Lanka with proper visa documents and met innocent Tamils living in Mullivaikal region. They have been behind bars since the 19th of this month. So far, the Sri Lankan government has not released them. We urge the Government of India to intervene in the matter to release the advocate and her assistant immediately. We also want the Government of Tamil Nadu to consult with the Central Government,” said Ramakrishnan, the state general secretary of the lawyer’s association.
Ramakrishnan said the protest was staged to put pressure on the state and central governments to secure the release of both persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note