Protest intensify in TN, Pondy demanding boycott of CHOGM
Chennai: Pro-Tamil outfits and student groups on Monday stepped up protests in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry demanding the Centre to boycott next week Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) in Sri Lanka over the Lankan Tamils issue.
Two Union ministers joined the chorus with Jayanthi Natarajan and V Narayanasamy coming out openly opposing India`s participation and thus joining their Cabinet colleague GK Vasan, who had been stridently demanding the Prime Minister to keep away from the meet.
As a part of protests, local EMU (Electrical Multiple Unit) trains bound for Beach were blocked by school and college students at the busy suburban Tambaram railway station here this morning.
Jayanthi Natarajan, speaking to reporters at the airport here, said, "I have already expressed my opinion. Due to the atrocities perpetrated against Tamils there and owing to the strong sentiments of Tamils, our Prime Minister must not go to Sri Lanka. I am going to appeal to him."
Representing Puducherry which has substantial Tamil population, Narayanasamy said majority of Congress ministers and MPs from Tamil Nadu do not want the Prime Minister to participate in the CHOGM.
"Some ministers have met the Prime Minister insisting that he should not attend the meeting while few others have not met. But the majority opinion is that he should not visit Sri Lanka," he said.
"I have conveyed my opinion to the Prime Minister that he should not visit Sri Lanka," Narayanasamy said.
Holding placards, students squatted on the railway track shouting slogans against Lanka and the Centre.
A torch rally of students began in Idinthakarai in Tirunelveli District urging the Centre to boycott "out and out" the meet in the Island Nation. The protesting students, who were on their way to Thanjavur were arrested in Kanyakumari.
Another group of students who tried to embark on a torch rally also to Thanjavur were detained by police near Chepauk here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling