Pudukottai bypoll: 31 candidates file nominations
Chennai: Thirty one candidates have filed their nominations for the June 12 bye-election to the Pudukottai Assembly constituency which will witness a direct face-off between former allies AIAMDK and DMDK for the second consecutive time in an electoral battle this year.
Nominations closed on Friday with AIADMK`s Karthik Thondaiman and DMDK`s Jahir Hussain, among others, filing their papers for the bypoll which was necessitated following the death of CPI MLA P Muthukumaran in a road accident on April 1,2012.
Special Chief Electoral Officier D Raajendiran said in a release that 31 persons had filed nominations.
The ruling AIADMK and its former ally DMDK had earlier locked horns for the March 18 Sankarankoil bypoll which the former won.
Another key opposition party, the M Karunanidhi-led DMK, is not contesting the Pudukottai bypoll.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA