Put TN under Prez rule if Jaya pushes for release of Rajiv killers: Swamy
New Delhi: Stating that any move to release former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi`s killers would be "illegal", senior BJP leader Subramanian Swamy today said that President`s rule should be imposed in Tamil Nadu if Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa did not "desist" from proceeding with the decision.
"I demand that the Centre issue a direction under Article 256 of the Constitution to the TN CM to desist from pursuing (the) illegal resolution on Rajiv`s killers," Swamy said.
"If she (Jayalalithaa) does not listen, then the state should be brought under President`s rule immediately," he added.
Supreme Court on Thursday stayed the release of those convicted in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case saying there have been procedural lapses on the part of the Tamil Nadu government in the matter.
After the apex court commuted the death sentences of three of the convicts in the said case, the Tamil Nadu Cabinet had decided to release them and other convicts following due consultations with the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- PM Modi's 10th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat': As it happened
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday