Puthiya Tamizhagam leader seeks vacation of stay
Madurai: Puthiya Tamizhagam founder leader Dr K Krishnasamy, MLA, has moved the Madurai Bench of Madras High Court seeking to include him as a party in the petition relating to drawing of ground water in and around Ottapidaram area in Tuticorin District.
In his petition, Krishnasamy, elected to the assembly from Ottapidaram, sought vacation of a stay granted by the court on the June 10, 2011 ban imposed by Kovilpatti Revenue Divisional Officer on drawing of ground water through borewells in and around Ottapidaram area.
He submitted that some private individuals were digging bore wells ranging from 800 feet to 1,500 feet depth to draw water in large quantity for commercial purposes. Such indiscriminate drawing of water had badly affected the ground water, forcing people to purchase drinking water for Rs 7 per pot.
Free electricity connection meant for agricultural purpose was misused to draw the ground water by private parties.
The petitioner also stated that if the RDO order was set aside, it will greatly prejudice the interest of the people as whole. Further extending the interim stay on the RDO’s order would favour the main petitioner and would create lot of ecological problem and water scarcity both for drinking as well as irrigation. Hence the petitioner prayed the court to vacate the stay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!