Railway minister doesn`t rule out blast in TN Express fire
Kolkata: Railway Minister Mukul Roy did not rule out the possibility of a blast behind the devastating fire in Tamil Nadu Express that left 32 passengers dead on Monday.
"I am not excluding anything. I got a call from Divisional Railway Manager that there was a report of a blast. I don`t want to dwell on it further since you will infer that I am trying to divert the cause of the mishap to another direction," Roy told reporters here before leaving for the accident site.
Later, he said "some of the injured passengers admitted to hospitals and a gateman at one of the level crossings near Nellore station heard a loud sound when the fire occurred in the coach."
Asked if he suspected sabotage, Roy said "I am not saying anything at this stage."
"Nothing is being ruled out and nothing can be said without an investigation. It will be investigated if inflammable substances were kept in the compartment or the fire was caused by a short circuit," the minister said.
Roy said he had ordered an inquiry into the fire.
He said he had spoken to the Railway Board for setting up a high-power committee which would investigate the cause of the fire.
Describing the incident as "very tragic and unfortunate", the minister announced an ex-gratia payment of Rs 5 lakh to the next of kin of each killed, besides a job.
He said Rs one lakh each would also be paid to those with grievous injuries and Rs 25,000 for those with minor injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Grand Welcome for champions: After Telangana, Andhra Pradesh government felicitates PV Sindhu, Pullela Gopichand
- Google rolls out Android Nougat, Nexus phones to get it first
- Watch: Sonakshi Sinha, Remo D'souza's 'Beat Pe Booty' will make you want to hit dance floor too
- Watch: ISIS-style kidnapping of BJP leader's son by ULFA militants in Assam
- Apple boosts health while Microsoft revs machine smarts