Rains lash TN: North-east monsoon brings downpour
Chennai: Heavy rains continued to lash many
parts of the state, including Chennai, as the north-east
monsoon remained active over the state on Tuesday.
Morning office-goers faced much difficulty as overnight
rains continued in the morning in many places, with low-lying
areas remaining inundated.
Chennai received a rainfall of 6.4 mm, the regional met
Following a good south-west monsoon, most of the water
bodies and dams had good storage and the present north-east
monsoon had brought copious rains, resulting in rivers and
other storage bodies reaching their maximum levels.
Standing crops in Cauvery delta districts including Tanjore
and Tiruchirappally, Tuticorin and Tirunelveli had suffered
damage due to the heavy rains and resultant inundation of the
PMK founder Dr S Ramadoss urged the state government to
insist the Centre and ensure compensation for the farmers. In
previous years, though Central teams had visited the
flood-affected areas, Centre had not provided any funds,
putting the entire burden on the state government, he said.
Meanwhile, the regional met office forecast further heavy
rainfall in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry.
The north-east monsoon, which brings in the bulk of rain
for the state, had set in over the state last week. It
remained `active,` met officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!