Raja on visit to his Lok Sabha constituency
Coimbatore: Former Telecom Minister A Raja, the prime accused in 2G spectrum scam who was released on bail recently, arrived here on Sunday to a rousing reception by party workers en route to his Parliamentary constituency Nilgiris.
This is Raja`s first visit to his home state since his arrest in February last year.
Nearly 1,000 party workers thronged the city airport to welcome Raja, the dalit face of the DMK.
The former minister however, did not talk to waiting media persons.
Raja later left for Annur to meet the people, from where he would leave for Mettupalayam and Udhagamandalam, falling under his constituency, party sources said.
He would hold a review meeting of development works at Udhagamandalam tomorrow and
Kothagiri and Gudalur, before returning to Chennai on June 12, they said.
A Delhi court had on Thursday allowed Raja to visit Tamil Nadu between June 8 and June 30 accepting his plea.
The court had earlier while granting him bail on May 15 imposed certain conditions, including that he would not visit his home state without its prior permission.
Raja had sought the court`s permission also on the ground that the trial proceedings would not be undertaken from June 9 to June 30 owing to summer vacation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka