Rajiv killers’ hanging: Man sets himself afire
Chennai: A man on Tuesday suffered burns after he set himself ablaze here allegedly condemning the death sentence awarded to three convicts in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, police said.
The 43-year-old Selvam of West Saidapet, here has been admitted to hospital with 40 per cent burns, police said.
On Sunday, a 22-year-old woman, Sengodi of Kancheepuram, succumbed to her injuries after she set herself on fire condemning the death sentence awarded to Murugan, Santhan and Perarivalan convicted in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case.
Chief Minister, Jayalalithaa had said, in the state assembly on Tuesday that she had no power to alter the Presidential order rejecting the clemency plea of the three convicts and called upon the youth "not to act upon impulse."
The three are scheduled to be hanged on September 9 at the central prison in Vellore where they are presently imprisoned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez