Ram Setu should not be affected at any cost: BJP
Chennai: BJP`s Tamil Nadu unit on Thursday said Ram Setu should not be "affected at any cost" and demanded that the multi-million crore rupees Sethusamudram project be implemented without demolishing the structure.
"People of India revere Ram Setu as pious and have been seeking national monument status. It should not be affected at any cost," BJP state unit president Pon Radhakrishnan told reporters here.
He said Sethusamudram project should be implemented without causing any damage to the structure, also known as Adam`s Bridge.
The Supreme Court had on March 29 asked the Centre to make its stand clear on granting national monument status to the structure, believed to have been constructed by Lord Ram.
On the proposed visit of an all-party MPs delegation to Sri Lanka, led by Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha, Sushma Swaraj, Radhakrishnan claimed CPI, MDMK and VCK have been left out and said these parties must have been included.
He also called for more representation from Tamil Nadu, saying members from registered political parties must be included.
However, it was the Centre`s decision on the composition of the delegation, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Katrina Kaif’s views on ‘intolerance’ in the country - Here's what the actress said
- Irfan Pathan marries 21-year-old Safa Baig in low-key affair