Ramadoss backtracks from earlier position on alliance with DMK
Salem: In an apparent damage control
exercise, PMK leader S Ramadoss today backtracked from his
earlier position that his party did not consider an alliance
with the DMK for the assembly polls in the state, due in May.
Ramadoss had earlier contradicted DMK chief and Tamil
Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi`s remarks at New Delhi that
PMK would be part of the alliance led by his party.
His volte face came after an upset Karunanidhi last
night ruled out the question of PMK joining the DMK-led front
in the wake of Ramadoss` remarks denying his assertions about
the alliance between the two parties.
Speaking to reporters here, Ramdoss said he had never
contradicted Karunanidhi`s announcement in Delhi that PMK
would be part of the DMK-led alliance and asserted he would
not bely his hopes for a tie-up.
Ramadoss said he had only stated that no agreement had
been reached so far between the two parties on seat sharing or
the constituencies to be contested by them.
"I still feel Karunanidhi has complete faith in me and
my statements and I will not bely his hopes for an alliance,"
On his arrival from Delhi after attending a chief
ministers` conference, Karunanidhi had said last night, "There
is no question on this (alliance) after Ramadoss had denied my
statement made at Delhi that PMK would be part of our
He said he made the remarks on the assumption that PMK
wanted an alliance with DMK and it was also based on the talks
between leaders of both the parties.
During Karunanidhi`s Delhi visit, the DMK-Congress
alliance was firmed up with both the parties deciding to
appoint committees to discuss seat sharing and constituencies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!