Ramanathapuram district peaceful: Jayalalithaa
Chennai: Days after three persons were killed in Ramanathapuram during freedom fighter Pasumpon Muthuramalinga Thevar`s birth anniversary, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Thursday said the district was peaceful and ADGP (Law and Order) TK Rajendran was directly supevising security measures.
Replying to opposition members in this regard in the assembly, she also asked them to desist from saying that caste-related incidents were spreading in southern districts.
Detailing the incidents, she said one person was killed when locals of Melapperunkarai attacked a van for entering their village, on October 30. The van had taken a road not allowed by the police, she said.
Four persons had been arrested in this connection.
Similary, two persons were killed when residents of Ponniahpuram attacked them while trying to pass through their area and five persons had been arrested in connection with the incident, she said.
Three persons had been detained in connection with hurling of petrol bombs on a van, injuring 11 persons, she said.
"Following these incidents, security was beefed up and Guru Puja (to mark Thevar`s birth anniversary) passed off peacefully. I have directed police to take stringent legal action against those who have been arrested," she said while announcing a solatium of Rs five lakh each to the families of the victims.
She also announced a relief of Rs one lakh for those who had suffered severe burn injuries and Rs 50,000 for minor injuries.
She announced employment for one person from the families of the deceased.
"ADGP Law and Order is directly monitoring the security arrangements. The entire area is peaceful and southern districts, especially Ramanathapuram is peaceful," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal