Rameswaram fishermen to stay off sea indefinitely
Rameswaram: Fishermen from this region will go on an indefinite strike from tomorrow demanding the release of 30 of their colleagues arrested by Sri Lankan Navy on the charge of poaching.
A meeting of various fishermen associations held here today also resolved to hold a `road roko` agitation on April 12 at the Pamban bridge connecting the island to mainland, representatives of the association told reporters here.
Presidents of the associations Sasuraja, Emerite and Bose were among those who attended the meeting.
Pamabn Fishermen Organisation chief U Arulanandam said the 30 fishermen were produced before a magistrate court in Mannar and remanded to custody till April 18.
They have been lodged in Anuradapuram prison.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert