Rameswaram fishermen to stay off sea indefinitely
Rameswaram: Fishermen from this region will go on an indefinite strike from tomorrow demanding the release of 30 of their colleagues arrested by Sri Lankan Navy on the charge of poaching.
A meeting of various fishermen associations held here today also resolved to hold a `road roko` agitation on April 12 at the Pamban bridge connecting the island to mainland, representatives of the association told reporters here.
Presidents of the associations Sasuraja, Emerite and Bose were among those who attended the meeting.
Pamabn Fishermen Organisation chief U Arulanandam said the 30 fishermen were produced before a magistrate court in Mannar and remanded to custody till April 18.
They have been lodged in Anuradapuram prison.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt