Rameswaram fishermen to stay off sea indefinitely
Rameswaram: Fishermen from this region will go on an indefinite strike from tomorrow demanding the release of 30 of their colleagues arrested by Sri Lankan Navy on the charge of poaching.
A meeting of various fishermen associations held here today also resolved to hold a `road roko` agitation on April 12 at the Pamban bridge connecting the island to mainland, representatives of the association told reporters here.
Presidents of the associations Sasuraja, Emerite and Bose were among those who attended the meeting.
Pamabn Fishermen Organisation chief U Arulanandam said the 30 fishermen were produced before a magistrate court in Mannar and remanded to custody till April 18.
They have been lodged in Anuradapuram prison.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority