Ready to implement Sethu project as per SC guidelines: Vasan
Madurai: The Centre was willing to follow Supreme Court guidelines in the implementation of the Sethusamudram Shipping Channel project which had been launched keeping in mind the development needs of Tamil Nadu, Union Shipping Minister GK Vasan said today.
Some of those who are against the project had filed cases against it, and the state government too has filed an affidavit against it, Vasan told reporters after visiting the house of IAF pilot Praveen, who died last month when his helicopter crashed during rescue operations in Uttarakhand.
DMK in Tamil Nadu had undertaken statewide protests on Monday demanding implementation of the project. Referring to frequent attacks on Indian fishermen allegedly by Sri Lanka navy, Vasan said that "the Centre is taking continuous action to stop such attacks.
"Recently, fishermen from the two countries met in Delhi. In fact, the Sri Lankan officials are also interested in a (peaceful) situation in Palk Straits," Vasan added.
He also felt there would be more progress in the talks between the two countries if five Indian fishermen, who are languishing in Sri Lankan prisons on false charges, were released.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read