Ready to implement Sethu project as per SC guidelines: Vasan
Madurai: The Centre was willing to follow Supreme Court guidelines in the implementation of the Sethusamudram Shipping Channel project which had been launched keeping in mind the development needs of Tamil Nadu, Union Shipping Minister GK Vasan said today.
Some of those who are against the project had filed cases against it, and the state government too has filed an affidavit against it, Vasan told reporters after visiting the house of IAF pilot Praveen, who died last month when his helicopter crashed during rescue operations in Uttarakhand.
DMK in Tamil Nadu had undertaken statewide protests on Monday demanding implementation of the project. Referring to frequent attacks on Indian fishermen allegedly by Sri Lanka navy, Vasan said that "the Centre is taking continuous action to stop such attacks.
"Recently, fishermen from the two countries met in Delhi. In fact, the Sri Lankan officials are also interested in a (peaceful) situation in Palk Straits," Vasan added.
He also felt there would be more progress in the talks between the two countries if five Indian fishermen, who are languishing in Sri Lankan prisons on false charges, were released.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan had achieved nuclear capability in 1984: Abdul Qadeer Khan
- Pakistan able to target Delhi from Kahuta near Rawalpindi in five minutes: Dr Abdul Qadeer Khan
- US zoo kills gorilla after 3-year-old boy falls into enclosure
- EC cancels polls for two remaining Tamil Nadu Assembly seats - Know why
- Cloudbursts, rainfall in Tehri district of Uttarakhand; Gangotri-Kedarnath road closed, pilgrims stranded