‘Rectify mistake in assigning No 9 to transgenders
Chennai: Concerned over reports of transgenders being assigned No 9 in the ongoing Sixth Economic Census forms, DMK president M Karunanidhi on Saturday demanded that steps be taken to rectify the `mistake` since the number is locally used to make fun of the members of the community.
He recalled that his party led government in 2008 had issued ration cards with the letter `T`, denoting transgenders. But in this economic census, the numbers 1 and 2 have been assigned for Male and Female categories and 9 for transgenders, he said.
"They (transgenders) have said that the number 9 is used to tease them and government itself has decided to use the same numeral amounts to an insult to them," Karunanidhi said in a party statement.
Irrespective of the state government taking up the matter, those in the union government responsible for census operations should take steps to rectify the mistake, he said.
Reports had said transgenders in the state were upset that No.9 had been given to identify them under `Others` category in the Census forms with community members holding that it is used to poke fun at them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda