‘Rectify mistake in assigning No 9 to transgenders
Chennai: Concerned over reports of transgenders being assigned No 9 in the ongoing Sixth Economic Census forms, DMK president M Karunanidhi on Saturday demanded that steps be taken to rectify the `mistake` since the number is locally used to make fun of the members of the community.
He recalled that his party led government in 2008 had issued ration cards with the letter `T`, denoting transgenders. But in this economic census, the numbers 1 and 2 have been assigned for Male and Female categories and 9 for transgenders, he said.
"They (transgenders) have said that the number 9 is used to tease them and government itself has decided to use the same numeral amounts to an insult to them," Karunanidhi said in a party statement.
Irrespective of the state government taking up the matter, those in the union government responsible for census operations should take steps to rectify the mistake, he said.
Reports had said transgenders in the state were upset that No.9 had been given to identify them under `Others` category in the Census forms with community members holding that it is used to poke fun at them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family