Relief for atrocities against SC/STs increased
Madurai: Enhanced monetary relief in the case
of atrocities against SCs and STs has come into effect with
the Centre notifying amended rules under the relevant act.
As per the Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention
of Atrocities (Amendment) Rules 2011, which has come into
effect from December 23, 2011, compensation in case of murder
of a earning SC/ST member has gone up to Rs five lakh from Rs
In case of murder of a non-earning member, the relief has
been increased from Rs one lakh to Rs 2.5 lakh. Compensation
paid in the case of sexual exploitation of a SC/ST woman would
now be Rs 1.2 lakh as against Rs.50,000 earlier.
A copy of the rules was made available to the media here by
Evidence a non-governmental organisation, which has taken
steps to create awareness among the people about it.
For listed offences under Section 3(1) (i) to Section 3
(1) (x), the relief amount has been enhanced to Rs 60,000
from Rs 25,000 and for offences relating to right to franchise
from Rs 25,000 to Rs.50,000.
For the offence of fouling of water, denial of customary
right of passage and giving false evidence, the compensation
had been increased from Rs.1.20 lakh to Rs.2,50 lakh.
The amendment also says that words Director/Deputy
Director, National Commission for the Scheduled Castes and the
Scheduled Tribes shall be substituted with Representatives
of the National Commission for the Scheduled Castes and the
The rules have been welcomed by NGOs here including the
People`s Watch, SOCO trust, and Evidence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India