Relief for atrocities against SC/STs increased
Madurai: Enhanced monetary relief in the case
of atrocities against SCs and STs has come into effect with
the Centre notifying amended rules under the relevant act.
As per the Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention
of Atrocities (Amendment) Rules 2011, which has come into
effect from December 23, 2011, compensation in case of murder
of a earning SC/ST member has gone up to Rs five lakh from Rs
In case of murder of a non-earning member, the relief has
been increased from Rs one lakh to Rs 2.5 lakh. Compensation
paid in the case of sexual exploitation of a SC/ST woman would
now be Rs 1.2 lakh as against Rs.50,000 earlier.
A copy of the rules was made available to the media here by
Evidence a non-governmental organisation, which has taken
steps to create awareness among the people about it.
For listed offences under Section 3(1) (i) to Section 3
(1) (x), the relief amount has been enhanced to Rs 60,000
from Rs 25,000 and for offences relating to right to franchise
from Rs 25,000 to Rs.50,000.
For the offence of fouling of water, denial of customary
right of passage and giving false evidence, the compensation
had been increased from Rs.1.20 lakh to Rs.2,50 lakh.
The amendment also says that words Director/Deputy
Director, National Commission for the Scheduled Castes and the
Scheduled Tribes shall be substituted with Representatives
of the National Commission for the Scheduled Castes and the
The rules have been welcomed by NGOs here including the
People`s Watch, SOCO trust, and Evidence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray