Relief for atrocities against SC/STs increased
Madurai: Enhanced monetary relief in the case
of atrocities against SCs and STs has come into effect with
the Centre notifying amended rules under the relevant act.
As per the Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention
of Atrocities (Amendment) Rules 2011, which has come into
effect from December 23, 2011, compensation in case of murder
of a earning SC/ST member has gone up to Rs five lakh from Rs
In case of murder of a non-earning member, the relief has
been increased from Rs one lakh to Rs 2.5 lakh. Compensation
paid in the case of sexual exploitation of a SC/ST woman would
now be Rs 1.2 lakh as against Rs.50,000 earlier.
A copy of the rules was made available to the media here by
Evidence a non-governmental organisation, which has taken
steps to create awareness among the people about it.
For listed offences under Section 3(1) (i) to Section 3
(1) (x), the relief amount has been enhanced to Rs 60,000
from Rs 25,000 and for offences relating to right to franchise
from Rs 25,000 to Rs.50,000.
For the offence of fouling of water, denial of customary
right of passage and giving false evidence, the compensation
had been increased from Rs.1.20 lakh to Rs.2,50 lakh.
The amendment also says that words Director/Deputy
Director, National Commission for the Scheduled Castes and the
Scheduled Tribes shall be substituted with Representatives
of the National Commission for the Scheduled Castes and the
The rules have been welcomed by NGOs here including the
People`s Watch, SOCO trust, and Evidence.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'