`Religious institutions fall within establishment`
Chennai: Madras High Court has said religious institutions would certainly fall within the definition of "establishment," as defined in the Payment of Gratuity Act.
A Full Bench of the Court said that going by the principle laid down by the Supreme Court on various decisions, management could not have any more doubt with regard to payment of gratuity and pension.
The Full Bench, comprising Justices Elipe Dharma Rao, D Murugesan and M Venugopal stated this while examining a case on whether a "religious institution/temple would come within the purview of Section 1(3)(b) of the Payment of Gratuity Act.
Earlier, the matter was referred to a Full Bench in view of conflicting decisions rendered by two Division Benches of the High Court.
A Division Bench had upheld a single Judge`s order in an earlier case that Section 1 (3) of the Payment of Gratuity Act did not apply at all to religious institutions and its employees were not entitled to claim gratuity.
Justice Rao said a reading of decisions of the single judge and Division Bench would show neither the Apex Court decisions or that of other High Courts or Madras High Court had been relied on to conclude that a religious institution did not come under the purview of the Payment of Gratuity Act.
The Apex Court had laid down that Sec 1(3)(b) could apply even to non-commercial establishments and its various other decisions would only pave the way to conclude that "religious institutions" would also be attracted by the term "establishment" under the Payment of Gratuity Act.
It would not stop within the meaning prescribed to "establishment" under the Tamil Nadu Shops and Establishments Act, the Full Bench added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28