Report on NGOs: Udayakumar moves HC against IB official
Chennai: Madras High Court on Tuesday issued a notice to the Union Home Secretary on a petition by anti- nuclear activist SP Udayakumar seeking action against an Intelligence Bureau official for allegedly leaking a "secret" document on foreign funding of NGOs with a view to maligning him.
Justice M Satyanaranan ordered issuance of the notice when the petition by Udayakumar, who is co-coordinator of the People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy (PMANE), came up for hearing. PMANE is spearheading the protest against the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant.
Udayakumar alleged that a Joint Director in IB had sent a report to the Union Home Ministry on June 3, 2014, entitled `Concerted efforts by select foreign-funded NGOs to take down Indian Development Projects`.
Even though the report was marked "secret", the officer leaked it to the media with a view to maligning his reputation, Udayakumar has charged.
He further claimed that the official had committed an offence punishable under the Intelligence Organisations (Restriction of Rights) Act.
Udayakumar said he had sent a legal notice to the Union Home Secretary to take appropriate action against the IB officer, but no action had been initiated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS