Report on NGOs: Udayakumar moves HC against IB official
Chennai: Madras High Court on Tuesday issued a notice to the Union Home Secretary on a petition by anti- nuclear activist SP Udayakumar seeking action against an Intelligence Bureau official for allegedly leaking a "secret" document on foreign funding of NGOs with a view to maligning him.
Justice M Satyanaranan ordered issuance of the notice when the petition by Udayakumar, who is co-coordinator of the People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy (PMANE), came up for hearing. PMANE is spearheading the protest against the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant.
Udayakumar alleged that a Joint Director in IB had sent a report to the Union Home Ministry on June 3, 2014, entitled `Concerted efforts by select foreign-funded NGOs to take down Indian Development Projects`.
Even though the report was marked "secret", the officer leaked it to the media with a view to maligning his reputation, Udayakumar has charged.
He further claimed that the official had committed an offence punishable under the Intelligence Organisations (Restriction of Rights) Act.
Udayakumar said he had sent a legal notice to the Union Home Secretary to take appropriate action against the IB officer, but no action had been initiated.
- Subramanian Swamy speaks about AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi
- Subramanian Swamy speaks about AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi- Part II
- ED summons former Air Chief Marshal S.P. Tyagi
- DNA: When will Muslim women get freedom from triple divorce?
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Netaji files declassification: Morarji had declined to accept inquiry commissions report
- OMG! 25,000 women died due to dowry in last two years, says govt
- India's investments into UK more than doubled in 2015
- Motorola expected to launch Moto G (4th Gen) handset on May 17
- Ex-servicemen suspend OROP protest, threaten to intensify agitation if demands not met