Report on NGOs: Udayakumar moves HC against IB official
Chennai: Madras High Court on Tuesday issued a notice to the Union Home Secretary on a petition by anti- nuclear activist SP Udayakumar seeking action against an Intelligence Bureau official for allegedly leaking a "secret" document on foreign funding of NGOs with a view to maligning him.
Justice M Satyanaranan ordered issuance of the notice when the petition by Udayakumar, who is co-coordinator of the People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy (PMANE), came up for hearing. PMANE is spearheading the protest against the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant.
Udayakumar alleged that a Joint Director in IB had sent a report to the Union Home Ministry on June 3, 2014, entitled `Concerted efforts by select foreign-funded NGOs to take down Indian Development Projects`.
Even though the report was marked "secret", the officer leaked it to the media with a view to maligning his reputation, Udayakumar has charged.
He further claimed that the official had committed an offence punishable under the Intelligence Organisations (Restriction of Rights) Act.
Udayakumar said he had sent a legal notice to the Union Home Secretary to take appropriate action against the IB officer, but no action had been initiated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed