`Reports of training of Lankan airmen regrettable`
Chennai: Joining leaders of various political parties in Tamil Nadu voicing their concern over training of Sri Lankan airmen here, Union Minister G K Vasan ton Friday said the move was "unacceptable and regrettable".
Noting that the reports about imparting training to Sri Lankan airmen was a "big concern", Vasan said TNCC president B S Gnanadesikan had already taken up the issue with the Central ministers.
"Today, he has gone to Delhi. He will definitely apprise serious concerns of Tamil Nadu to the ministers concerned in Delhi. I am sure there will be a full stop to this," the Shipping Minister told reporters, when asked to comment on reports about training being imparted to nine Sri Lankan Air Force personnel at the Tambaram Air Force station near here.
He said resettling of Tamils was India`s concern in Sri Lanka. "Not only that, we are equally concerned about giving equal powers to the Tamils as the way Sinhalese are getting in Sri Lanka. This is our concern," he said. br>
The reported training of Lankan Air Force personnel by India came in for sharp attack from various political parties in the state, with Chief Minister Jayalalithaa describing it as an "insult to Tamil people".
She along with DMK president M Karunanidhi and others demanded that the Lankan Air Force personnel be sent back.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest