Rights to SL Tamils: DMK for resolution in Gen Assembly
New Delhi: DMK on Tuesday demanded that India should bring a resolution in the UN General Assembly and the UNHRC for bestowing rights to Sri Lankan Tamils to decide a political solution by themselves, contending that the government there has failed on this account.
In a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, DMK chief M Karunanidhi also asked him to initiate all possible "diplomatic strategies" to bring other member countries to support the resolution.
He told Singh that these were some of the resolutions that were adopted at the TESO Conference in Chennai last week which also criticised the Sri Lankan government for its "inaction" in providing a political solution.
In the letter, handed over to Singh by DMK Parliamentary Party chief T R Baalu and others, Karunanidhi also asked him to grant Indian Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status to all the Sri Lankan refugees living in India.
"A team should be sent to monitor that Rs 500 crore granted by the Indian government as rehabilitation assistance and other material assistances for the Tamils is properly made use of for these works," he said.
The letter also asked India to play its primary role in implementing the solutions including release of imprisoned Tamils, free and safe home coming for the overseas Sri Lankan Tamils and restoring Tamil tradition and culture.
Karunanidhi also demanded that the government take appropriate measures to protect Indian fisherman from the attacks by Sri Lankan Navy by bringing back Kachattheevu under the control of India.
He also said that India should avoid training Sri Lankan defence personnel as requested by the conference.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam