Rosaiah sworn in as TN Governor
Chennai: Former Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister
K Rosaiah was on Wednesday sworn-in as the Governor of Tamil Nadu.
Madras High Court Chief Justice MY Eqbal administered the
oath of office to Rosaiah at a function in Raj Bhavan here. He
succeeds Surjit Singh Barnala.
The brief function was attended by Chief Minister J
Jayalalithaa and her cabinet colleagues among others.
Soon after he was sworn-in, Jayalalithaa and Justice Eqbal
presented bouquets to him.
78-year old Rosaiah, a veteran Congress leader of Andhra
Pradesh, brings with him a vast political and ministerial
experience having served as Chief Minister from September 3,
2009, to November 24, 2010, besides being a minister in
successive Congress governments in the state since 1979.
Rosaiah became Chief Minister following the death of Y S
Rajasekhara Reddy in a helicopter crash. After tumultuous
14 months as CM during which he faced the twin challenges
posed by Telanagana movement and the then dissident leader YS
Jaganmohan Reddy, he quit the top post on health grounds
paving the way for incumbent Kiran Kumar Reddy.
Born in a middle class agricultural family at Vemuru in
Guntur district on July 4, 1933, Rosaiah did graduation in
Commerce and was active in politics since his student days.
Belonging to Vaishya community, he was first elected to
AP Legislative Council in 1968 and became a minister in 1979
under late M Channa Reddy who incidentally was Tamil Nadu
Governor during AIADMK`s first government in 1991-96.
Rosaiah, initiated into politics by veteran freedom fighter
late N G Ranga, is the 22nd Governor of Tamil Nadu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi