Rs 12.58 crore cash seized in Tamil Nadu during election raids
Chennai: A sum of Rs 12.58 crore in cash and goods worth Rs 6.47 crore have been seized by Election Commission officials during their raids across Tamil Nadu ahead of the April 24 the Lok Sabha polls, a senior election official said here on Tuesday.
"So far, a sum of Rs 12.58 crore cash, goods worth Rs 6.47 crore have been seized. Maximum money has been seized from Chennai with 2.19 crore and Salem with 1.97 crore," Tamil Nadu Chief Electoral Officer Praveen Kumar said.
Talking to reporters here, Kumar said there are over 9,400 critical polling stations across the state, with the largest being in Villupuram with 915 and the less numbers of such stations in Chennai with 287.
“While Rs 82 lakh was seized in Virudhunagar, Rs 74 lakh each in Tiruppur and Coimbatore and Rs 78 lakh have been seized in the Nilgris, he said. "So far, no amount has been seized in Cuddalore."
Replying to a query, he said, while the expense for the last polls in Tamil Nadu was Rs 150 crore (excluding the security expense of Rs 78 crore), the cost to the exchequer for this general polls is expected at Rs 199 crore.
Praveen Kumar also released CDs raising awareness amongst voters for not selling their votes in exchange of money or kind from individuals or political parties.
Featuring actors Goutami Thadimalla and Rohini, the three visual clippings, which run for less-than-a-minute stage a small drama stressing on the importance of voting and not selling the votes.
The Election Commission has successfully conveyed the message in these clippings that offering and receiving money for votes is illegal and would attract one year imprisonment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over SP leader Azam Khan's controversial remark on Muslim population
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowance Committee likely to submit report on 20 February
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO