Rs 74.47 lakh seized from silver merchants
Salem: An amount of Rs 74.47 lakh was seized from the vehicle of three silver merchants at a checkpost here today for reportedly violating the model code of conduct in force for the December 4 bypoll in Yercaud.
Though the three -- all brothers- claimed the money was from sale of silver vessels and anklets in Dharmapuri, they could not produce any documents to substantiate their claim, officials said.
The District Collector and Election Officer had announced that none should carry an amount of more than Rs 50,000 since the model code is in force.
The cash was later handed over to Election Returning Officer Sababathy, officials said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference