Rs 74.47 lakh seized from silver merchants
Salem: An amount of Rs 74.47 lakh was seized from the vehicle of three silver merchants at a checkpost here today for reportedly violating the model code of conduct in force for the December 4 bypoll in Yercaud.
Though the three -- all brothers- claimed the money was from sale of silver vessels and anklets in Dharmapuri, they could not produce any documents to substantiate their claim, officials said.
The District Collector and Election Officer had announced that none should carry an amount of more than Rs 50,000 since the model code is in force.
The cash was later handed over to Election Returning Officer Sababathy, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'