Rs 74.47 lakh seized from silver merchants
Salem: An amount of Rs 74.47 lakh was seized from the vehicle of three silver merchants at a checkpost here today for reportedly violating the model code of conduct in force for the December 4 bypoll in Yercaud.
Though the three -- all brothers- claimed the money was from sale of silver vessels and anklets in Dharmapuri, they could not produce any documents to substantiate their claim, officials said.
The District Collector and Election Officer had announced that none should carry an amount of more than Rs 50,000 since the model code is in force.
The cash was later handed over to Election Returning Officer Sababathy, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars