Rs 74.47 lakh seized from silver merchants
Salem: An amount of Rs 74.47 lakh was seized from the vehicle of three silver merchants at a checkpost here today for reportedly violating the model code of conduct in force for the December 4 bypoll in Yercaud.
Though the three -- all brothers- claimed the money was from sale of silver vessels and anklets in Dharmapuri, they could not produce any documents to substantiate their claim, officials said.
The District Collector and Election Officer had announced that none should carry an amount of more than Rs 50,000 since the model code is in force.
The cash was later handed over to Election Returning Officer Sababathy, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- IPL Betting: Lalit Modi names three cricketers who were bribed
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report