RS polls: DMK seeks Congress backing for Kanimozhi
New Delhi: After DMDK, former UPA ally DMK on Wednesday approached Congress seeking support for its candidate Kanimozhi as both the Tamil Nadu parties are set to fight for the sixth seat in the June 27 biennial elections to Rajya Sabha from the state.
Senior DMK leader TR Baalu met Congress president Sonia Gandhi and requested her to support the candidature of Kanimozhi, party supremo M Karunanidhi`s daughter.
This is the perhaps the first meeting between a DMK representative and Gandhi after they parted ways few months back on the issue of Sri Lankan Tamils.
Congress is yet to decide on the issue, party sources said. The main opposition party in the state DMDK had on Tuesday approached Congress seeking support for its candidate.
"Five DMDK MLAs met me and gave me a letter, which requested Congress to support their candidate in the RS polls. I have forwarded the letter to Delhi...The party high command will take a decision on it," Tamil Nadu Congress Committee president B S Gnanadesikan had told a news agency yesterday.
DMDK, headed by actor-turned-politician Vijayakant, fielded party treasurer AR Elangovan as its candidate on Monday and as such the biennial elections for six Rajya Sabha seats from the state seems headed for a contest.
The ruling AIADMK is already assured of four seats with its strength of 151 members in the 234-member State Assembly.
With Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa agreeing to withdraw the candidature of K Thangamuthu, who was nominated for the fifth seat, in favour of CPI`s D Raja, he is expected to gain the required 34 votes for victory.
DMDK and DMK are now set to fight for the sixth seat in the polls with the latter having renominated Kanimozhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details