RS polls: DMK seeks Congress backing for Kanimozhi
New Delhi: After DMDK, former UPA ally DMK on Wednesday approached Congress seeking support for its candidate Kanimozhi as both the Tamil Nadu parties are set to fight for the sixth seat in the June 27 biennial elections to Rajya Sabha from the state.
Senior DMK leader TR Baalu met Congress president Sonia Gandhi and requested her to support the candidature of Kanimozhi, party supremo M Karunanidhi`s daughter.
This is the perhaps the first meeting between a DMK representative and Gandhi after they parted ways few months back on the issue of Sri Lankan Tamils.
Congress is yet to decide on the issue, party sources said. The main opposition party in the state DMDK had on Tuesday approached Congress seeking support for its candidate.
"Five DMDK MLAs met me and gave me a letter, which requested Congress to support their candidate in the RS polls. I have forwarded the letter to Delhi...The party high command will take a decision on it," Tamil Nadu Congress Committee president B S Gnanadesikan had told a news agency yesterday.
DMDK, headed by actor-turned-politician Vijayakant, fielded party treasurer AR Elangovan as its candidate on Monday and as such the biennial elections for six Rajya Sabha seats from the state seems headed for a contest.
The ruling AIADMK is already assured of four seats with its strength of 151 members in the 234-member State Assembly.
With Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa agreeing to withdraw the candidature of K Thangamuthu, who was nominated for the fifth seat, in favour of CPI`s D Raja, he is expected to gain the required 34 votes for victory.
DMDK and DMK are now set to fight for the sixth seat in the polls with the latter having renominated Kanimozhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America