Sankararaman murder case: Key accused hacked to death
Chennai: Unidentified men on Thursday hacked to death a key accused in the Sankararaman murder case, in which Kanchi seers Jayendra Saraswathi and his junior Vijendra Saraswathi are the prime accused.
Kathiravan was killed by a suspected 10-member gang near his house at KK Nagar here with sharp-edged weapons, police said, adding the motive for the murder was yet to be ascertained.
Sankararaman, the manager of the Varadarajaperumal Temple at Kancheepuram, was allegedly murdered on its premises on September 03, 2004.
The two seers have been charged under Sections 120-B (Criminal conspiracy) and 302 (murder) of the IPC.
The trial in the case was shifted to Puducherry from Chengalpattu by an order of the Supreme Court on a petition Jayendra had filed before it on October 25, 2005.
A total of 189 witnesses, including Padma, wife of Sankararaman, his son and daughter, have so far been examined in the trial and 81 of them turned hostile.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof