Sankararaman murder case: Key accused hacked to death
Chennai: Unidentified men on Thursday hacked to death a key accused in the Sankararaman murder case, in which Kanchi seers Jayendra Saraswathi and his junior Vijendra Saraswathi are the prime accused.
Kathiravan was killed by a suspected 10-member gang near his house at KK Nagar here with sharp-edged weapons, police said, adding the motive for the murder was yet to be ascertained.
Sankararaman, the manager of the Varadarajaperumal Temple at Kancheepuram, was allegedly murdered on its premises on September 03, 2004.
The two seers have been charged under Sections 120-B (Criminal conspiracy) and 302 (murder) of the IPC.
The trial in the case was shifted to Puducherry from Chengalpattu by an order of the Supreme Court on a petition Jayendra had filed before it on October 25, 2005.
A total of 189 witnesses, including Padma, wife of Sankararaman, his son and daughter, have so far been examined in the trial and 81 of them turned hostile.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested