Sasikala blames police for violating court order
Bangalore: Natarajan, estranged aide and co-accused in the wealth case against Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, on Wednesday told the special court that the
Chennai police violated a court order during the raids conducted at the latter`s residence in 1996.
She was responding to a question regarding valuable watches that were seized during the raids at Jayalalithaa`s Poes Garden Residence.
Police had violated the court order in taking the seized watches to the Anti-Corruption Department for valuation instead of estimating the value at Jayalalithaa`s residence itself, she alleged during recording of her statement under
section 313 CrPC before judge B M Mallikarjunaiah here.
Sasikala further charged the police with threatening the valuer and "making him give high value for the watches".
Reiterating a similar allegation against police with regard to footwear, she said the police had "brought in unused and new footwear to inflate the value".
Sasikala came down heavily on DMK chief M Karunanidhi charging him with "taking political mileage to ensure that valuer escalated the value of the grand and heavy sarees that were valued" at the residence.
She alleged that some other sarees were brought by police in carton boxes and "when some of these fell while removing the boxes from the vehicle, this was noticed by Jayalalithaa`s servants. These sarees were then valued along with the sarees present at the residence".
The court adjourned further recording of her statement to tomorrow after she answered 86 questions taking the total number answered to 386.
The case, relating to alleged accumulation of wealth by Jayalalithaa when she was Chief Minister from 1991-95, had been transferred to Bangalore by the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Army Chief Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag appeals for peace in Kashmir
- Start dialogue process for peace in Kashmir, Ghulam Nabi Azad tells government
- Preggers Kareena Kapoor Khan to be Sabyasachi's showstopper at LFW finale?
- This is what Arvind Kejriwal said for PM Narendra Modi after sedition case against Ramya
- Nandita Das is a capable director: Nawazuddin Siddiqui