SC extends deadline for text books distribution
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday extended
till August 5 the dealine for Jayalalithaa government in Tamil
Nadu to distribute the 9 crore text books to students under
the Uniform System of School Education (Amendment) Act, 2011.
A three-judge bench of justices J M Panchal, Deepak Verma
and B S Chauhan passed the direction while dealing with Tamil
Nadu government`s decision to scrap the curriculum approved by
the previous DMK regime under the impugned Act.
During the day-long arguments, senior counsel T R
Andhiarujina, appearing for some of the associations which are
in favour of curriculum, told the bench that the AIADMK
government acted in undue haste due to political reasons.
"The amended Act was passed with undue haste on a single
day and the Governor`s assent was obtained on the same day and
it was clear that everything was done with lightning speed,"
The arguments would resume on Tuesday.
The Jayalalithaa government had moved the apex court
challenging the Madras High Court`s order which had struck
down an amendment to the Tamil Nadu Uniform System of School
Education (Amendment) Act, 2011.
The state had challenged the high court`s order on the
ground that it was "illegal and erroneous."
The high court had also directed the government to
distribute the textbooks printed under the Uniform System of
Education to enable teachers commence classes and to complete
the exercise by July 22.
Tamil Nadu has over 1.2 crore students in four
streams of school education -- 45,000 state board schools,
11,000 matriculation schools, 25 oriental schools and 50
Anglo--Indian schools, all with separate syllabus, textbooks
and schemes of examinations.
`Samacheer Kalvi` scheme, aimed at bringing about
uniform education, was shelved by Jayalalithaa in one of her
first acts since returning to power of reversing several pet
schemes of the previous DMK government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH