SC judge for speedy disposal of election petitions
Chennai: Judges and members of the Bar should cooperate in the disposal of election petitions within six months, Supreme Court Judge Justice P Sathasivam said on Friday.
"Many cases come up for hearing only after the expiry of the (candidate`s) tenure," he said here, while delivering a lecture on the `Role of advocates in justice delivery system`, organised by the Law Association as part of the high court`s sesquicentennial celebrations.
Stating that it was necessary to bring about judicial reforms for effectively meeting the requirements towards reducing pendency and delay in disposal of cases, he pointed out that the impact of the delay and the denial of justice could result in people resorting to "lawlessness and violence to negotiate disputes".
On the decorum and code of conduct required to be maintained in the legal profession, he said, "Unfortunately, there are instances of the use of improper language and exercise of undue influence while transgressing the limits of decorum and discipline. Such instances are unacceptable and unwarranted."
Stating that today`s lawyers needed to embrace technological developments, the Judge said, "There are various benefits inherent in the application of technology to the legal profession. These include accuracy in generation of data on deadlines and case status."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you