SC notice to Tamil Nadu govt and Sasikala on DMK leader`s plea
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday sought the replies of the Tamil Nadu government and state Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa`s estranged aide VK Sasikala to a plea by DMK leader, seeking his impleadment in a case against the two for allegedly owning assets exceeding their legal incomes.
A bench of justices P Sathasivam and Ranjan Gogoi issued notices on the petition filed by DMK General Secretary K Anbazhagan, through advocate VG Pragasam.
Anbazhagan had alleged in his petition that the two accused were bent upon derailing the trial proceedings in the disproportionate case against them after Jayalalithaa came to power.
The DMK leader, on whose petition the Supreme Court had transferred the case to Bangalore in November 2003 during the AIADMK regime, had filed the application for impleadment claiming that trial was being subverted by the accused and the state was bypassing the Special Public Prosecutor (SPP) B V Acharya, who was appointed by the Supreme Court.
Senior counsel V Giri, appearing for Sasikala, opposed the impleadment application and said once the state was represented, no other party was necessary.
State counsel B Balaji, however, denied that the state was trying to bypass the SPP. The bench after hearing the counsel posted the matter for further hearing on August 13.
The disproportionate assets case allegedly involves accumulation of assets worth over Rs 66 crore by Jayalalithaa between 1991 and 1996.
A vacation bench of the apex court had earlier, while refusing to stay the trial in the Bangalore court, had issued notice to the State on a SLP filed by Sasikala seeking certain documents from the prosecution to enable her to answer questions under Section 313 CrPC Put by the magistrate.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!