SC notice to Tamil Nadu govt and Sasikala on DMK leader`s plea
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday sought the replies of the Tamil Nadu government and state Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa`s estranged aide VK Sasikala to a plea by DMK leader, seeking his impleadment in a case against the two for allegedly owning assets exceeding their legal incomes.
A bench of justices P Sathasivam and Ranjan Gogoi issued notices on the petition filed by DMK General Secretary K Anbazhagan, through advocate VG Pragasam.
Anbazhagan had alleged in his petition that the two accused were bent upon derailing the trial proceedings in the disproportionate case against them after Jayalalithaa came to power.
The DMK leader, on whose petition the Supreme Court had transferred the case to Bangalore in November 2003 during the AIADMK regime, had filed the application for impleadment claiming that trial was being subverted by the accused and the state was bypassing the Special Public Prosecutor (SPP) B V Acharya, who was appointed by the Supreme Court.
Senior counsel V Giri, appearing for Sasikala, opposed the impleadment application and said once the state was represented, no other party was necessary.
State counsel B Balaji, however, denied that the state was trying to bypass the SPP. The bench after hearing the counsel posted the matter for further hearing on August 13.
The disproportionate assets case allegedly involves accumulation of assets worth over Rs 66 crore by Jayalalithaa between 1991 and 1996.
A vacation bench of the apex court had earlier, while refusing to stay the trial in the Bangalore court, had issued notice to the State on a SLP filed by Sasikala seeking certain documents from the prosecution to enable her to answer questions under Section 313 CrPC Put by the magistrate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe