SC refuses to interfere with HC order directing CBI probe
New Delhi: The Supreme Court has refused
to interfere with a Madras High Court order directing a CBI
probe into nearly 65 people of two villages in Vilupuram
district in Tamil Nadu losing their vision due to contaminated
eye drops used by doctors in 2008.
A bench of Justices GS Singvi and AK Ganguly
dismissed the petition on Tuesday filed by a doctor challenging
the High Court order in which the investigating agency was
directed to fix the responsibility for the incident.
The High Court on March 10 had ordered the probe,
saying that the incident is no less heinous than that of the
Bhagalpur blinding case.
The court had passed the order after it was alleged
by a Human Rights Organisation that the government officials
and doctors had siphoned off the huge fund granted by the
Centre for organising free eye camp for cataract surgery.
It was alleged that out of the Rs 23.25 crore allotted
to the Tamil Nadu State Blindness Control Society in
2008-2009, nearly 50 per cent of the funds had been given to
Joseph Eye Hospital, Tiruchi.
In this case more than 100 villagers had came forward
to get treatment but 23 persons from Nainarpalayam and 43 from
Kadavanur were shortlisted for the cataract surgery and they
were taken to the hospital.
As several persons had lost their vision, a team of
specialists was constituted to enquire into the matter. The
panel submitted its report opining that contaminated Ringer
Lactate used during the operation and air contamination in the
operation theatre of the hospital may be the reason for the
infection which caused blindness.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi