SC refuses to interfere with HC order directing CBI probe
New Delhi: The Supreme Court has refused
to interfere with a Madras High Court order directing a CBI
probe into nearly 65 people of two villages in Vilupuram
district in Tamil Nadu losing their vision due to contaminated
eye drops used by doctors in 2008.
A bench of Justices GS Singvi and AK Ganguly
dismissed the petition on Tuesday filed by a doctor challenging
the High Court order in which the investigating agency was
directed to fix the responsibility for the incident.
The High Court on March 10 had ordered the probe,
saying that the incident is no less heinous than that of the
Bhagalpur blinding case.
The court had passed the order after it was alleged
by a Human Rights Organisation that the government officials
and doctors had siphoned off the huge fund granted by the
Centre for organising free eye camp for cataract surgery.
It was alleged that out of the Rs 23.25 crore allotted
to the Tamil Nadu State Blindness Control Society in
2008-2009, nearly 50 per cent of the funds had been given to
Joseph Eye Hospital, Tiruchi.
In this case more than 100 villagers had came forward
to get treatment but 23 persons from Nainarpalayam and 43 from
Kadavanur were shortlisted for the cataract surgery and they
were taken to the hospital.
As several persons had lost their vision, a team of
specialists was constituted to enquire into the matter. The
panel submitted its report opining that contaminated Ringer
Lactate used during the operation and air contamination in the
operation theatre of the hospital may be the reason for the
infection which caused blindness.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy