SC rejects plea against TN`s decision to fix cut off marks
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday dismissed a plea against the Tamil Nadu government`s decision to fix 60 per cent cut off marks in the state Teacher Eligibility Test conducted this year.
"We find it difficult to accede to the request of the counsel. The question as to whether the cut off marks stipulated for the reserved category candidates have to be reduced or not, is entirely a matter for the State Government to decide," a bench of justices KS Radhakrishnan and AK Sikri said.
"The court exercising writ jurisdiction cannot grant such relaxation/concessional marks, as the same is the decision to be taken by the State Government," it said.
A Marx, a professor, had said that fixing 60 per cent as uniform qualifying marks is illegal and violative of Article 16(4) of the Constitution and state government is required to fulfill the constitutional obligation in allocating minimum qualifying marks based on communal reservation.
Rejecting the plea, the apex court said the state authorities, in their wisdom, fixed the cut off marks and the "court cannot substitute its views to that of the experts.
We, in such circumstances, are not inclined to interfere with these special leave petitions and the same are dismissed".
Earlier, the Madras High Court had also refused to grant relief saying this is a policy matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'