School fees: HC gives liberty to take action
Chennai: The Madras High Court on Wednesday gave the Tamil Nadu government and the state School Fee Determination Committee (SFDC), the liberty to take appropriate action against schools not covered under the May 3 court order collecting higher fees than that prescribed by the committee.
Passing orders on a petition filed by the government seeking clarifications in the court order, a Division Bench told the government to issue necessary circulars on collection of fees and to ensure strict compliance of the court order.
The Bench reiterated that as per its interim arrangement, only those schools which had challenged the school fees fixed by the SFDC could collect 15 per cent over and above that fixed by the committee for the academic year 2012-13.
Stating that the increase in fee was subject to the final orders to be passed by the committee, the Bench also pointed out that the hike was only for 2012-13 and not previous years. The Bench said its May three order, which included the names of the petitioner schools, had been posted on the High Court website.
The court made it mandatory for schools, covered by its order to display in their respective notice boards the fee fixed by the panel, the writ petition numbers and the revised fee according to the court order and separately showing the sum payable towards the 15 per cent increase.
Similarly, receipts should also be issued to parents/students indicating separately the fees to be collected as per the committee`s original order and the increase, the Bench said.
The Bench directed the government to ensure that the names of the petitioner schools were displayed on notice boards in the district education offices.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Black with a hint of gold, Sonam Kapoor's debonair suit will win your heart!
- Are you daring enough to visit THIS spooky 'Island of the Dolls'?
- Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson became more popular after death: Amitabh Bachchan
- England vs Pakistan, 2nd Test, Day 3 — As it happened...
- Two dead, 10 injured as under-construction building collapses in Hyderabad