Scrap medical entrance test, Karuna to Centre
Chennai: Opposing the proposed National Eligibility cum Entrance Test for medical courses, DMK, a key ally of UPA, on Sunday sought the Centre`s immediate intervention to abolish the system of entrance test.
"There are reports that the Centre proposed to conduct entrance test for medical education. The Central Government should intervene and take steps in scrapping the test. That is our stand," DMK chief M Karunanidhi said, writing in party organ "Murasoli".
He also asked the Jayalalithaa Government to take constructive steps to safeguard the interests of students of the state instead of focusing on `vindictive action and filing defamation cases` against DMK leaders.
Referring to the Andhra Pradesh High Court`s recent order staying NEET in that State, Karunanidhi said the government in that state had acted `wisely` in obtaining the relief.
Stating that it was during DMK regime that entrance test was abolished, he recalled his earlier statement that under the proposed NEET there was no provision for reservation to backward classes.
"I expect the Tamil Nadu Government will also take constructive action to protect the state students instead of focusing on vindictive action and filing defamation cases," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!