Scrap medical entrance test, Karuna to Centre
Chennai: Opposing the proposed National Eligibility cum Entrance Test for medical courses, DMK, a key ally of UPA, on Sunday sought the Centre`s immediate intervention to abolish the system of entrance test.
"There are reports that the Centre proposed to conduct entrance test for medical education. The Central Government should intervene and take steps in scrapping the test. That is our stand," DMK chief M Karunanidhi said, writing in party organ "Murasoli".
He also asked the Jayalalithaa Government to take constructive steps to safeguard the interests of students of the state instead of focusing on `vindictive action and filing defamation cases` against DMK leaders.
Referring to the Andhra Pradesh High Court`s recent order staying NEET in that State, Karunanidhi said the government in that state had acted `wisely` in obtaining the relief.
Stating that it was during DMK regime that entrance test was abolished, he recalled his earlier statement that under the proposed NEET there was no provision for reservation to backward classes.
"I expect the Tamil Nadu Government will also take constructive action to protect the state students instead of focusing on vindictive action and filing defamation cases," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: Know about world's highest battlefield Siachen
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!