Scrap medical entrance test, Karuna to Centre
Chennai: Opposing the proposed National Eligibility cum Entrance Test for medical courses, DMK, a key ally of UPA, on Sunday sought the Centre`s immediate intervention to abolish the system of entrance test.
"There are reports that the Centre proposed to conduct entrance test for medical education. The Central Government should intervene and take steps in scrapping the test. That is our stand," DMK chief M Karunanidhi said, writing in party organ "Murasoli".
He also asked the Jayalalithaa Government to take constructive steps to safeguard the interests of students of the state instead of focusing on `vindictive action and filing defamation cases` against DMK leaders.
Referring to the Andhra Pradesh High Court`s recent order staying NEET in that State, Karunanidhi said the government in that state had acted `wisely` in obtaining the relief.
Stating that it was during DMK regime that entrance test was abolished, he recalled his earlier statement that under the proposed NEET there was no provision for reservation to backward classes.
"I expect the Tamil Nadu Government will also take constructive action to protect the state students instead of focusing on vindictive action and filing defamation cases," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!