SDPI seeks total prohibition in Tamil Nadu
Coimbatore: Nearly 600 activists, including 50 women, belonging to Socialist Democratic Party of India (SDPI) were arrested here Wednesday when they attempted to stage a demonstration and lay siege of the District Collectorate, seeking total prohibition in Tamil Nadu.
Raising slogans demanding closure of all government run liquor outlets, the workers came in a procession to the collectorate and as and when they neared, they were taken into custody in batches, police said.
The workers wanted total prohibition in the state, claiming that liquor was proving to be dangerous to the community, particularly younger generation, leading to other bad habits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Check www.gseb.org for 10th result 2016: GSEB SSC result 2016 declared
- Cassini climbs over Saturn's poles and captures this stunning image - See pic!
- Shocking! Four out of five women are harassed in public places in India, finds survey
- Ranbir Kapoor, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan to get intimate in ‘Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’ – Here’s how
- Oomph factor! Priyanka Chopra looks smoking hot in THESE magazine covers