SDPI seeks total prohibition in Tamil Nadu
Coimbatore: Nearly 600 activists, including 50 women, belonging to Socialist Democratic Party of India (SDPI) were arrested here Wednesday when they attempted to stage a demonstration and lay siege of the District Collectorate, seeking total prohibition in Tamil Nadu.
Raising slogans demanding closure of all government run liquor outlets, the workers came in a procession to the collectorate and as and when they neared, they were taken into custody in batches, police said.
The workers wanted total prohibition in the state, claiming that liquor was proving to be dangerous to the community, particularly younger generation, leading to other bad habits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur