Security beefed up at Vellore port
Vellore: Security has been beefed up
around a mosque under the protection of Archaeological Survey
of India (ASI) in a 16th century Fort here following a tip-off
that a group of Muslims might enter it forcibly and offer
Various Muslim organisations, including Tamilnadu Muslim
Munnetra Kazhagam, have staged agitations in the past
demanding that ASI throw open the mosque for offering prayers.
The ASI`s stand has been that it could not grant
permission since the mosque was not in use for worship when
the fort was declared a monument in 1921.
The TMMK has recently renewed its demand for allowing
prayers in the mosque by December 31, failing which it would
stage a demonstration.
Officials said they had information that a group of
Muslims from Perambalur District would storm the mosque. As a
precautionary measure, barbed wire fence has been put around
the mosque and the police strength increased for
round-the-clock vigil, officials said today.
An additional police force of six persons headed by a
sub-inspector would stand guard at the entrance of the mosque
in addition to another six-member team already posted there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Child critically injured as crude bomb explodes in Kolkata
- Indian govt signs historic Naga peace accord with NSCN(I-M)
- Delhi HC issues notice to Kejriwal govt on advertisement expenses
- Allahabad: Controversy over bar owner's appointment as Mahamandaleshwar
- FTII students stage protest at Jantar Mantar in Delhi
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites