Security beefed up in TN ahead of PM`s visit
Chennai: Ahead of Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh`s two-day visit to Tamil Nadu from December 25, police
have tightened security in the city and other places on his
"We have made necessary arrangements for Prime Minister`s
visit. Our personnel are keeping vigil. We are well prepared,"
Greater Chennai Police Commissioner J K Tripathy said.
Visiting the city for the second time this year, Singh
would arrive here on Sunday evening and spend the night at Raj
On December 26, the Prime Minister will inaugurate the
125th birth anniversary function of mathematician Srinivasa
Ramanujan at Madras University. The same day, Singh will fly
to Karaikudi to inaugurate Dr Ramanujan Centre for Higher
Mathematics at Alagappa University and inaugurate two
Earlier this week, Additional DGP (Law and Order) S
George reviewed the security arrangements in Tiruchirapalli
and Sivaganga districts.
Some political parties -- MDMK, DMDK, TMMK -- have
announced that they will stage black flag demonstrations
against the Prime Minister protesting Centre`s silence on
Mullaperiyar Dam issue over which Tamil Nadu is locked in a
row with Kerala over building a new reservoir in its place.
"If they show black flags, they will be arrested,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan