Security beefed up in TN ahead of PM`s visit
Chennai: Ahead of Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh`s two-day visit to Tamil Nadu from December 25, police
have tightened security in the city and other places on his
"We have made necessary arrangements for Prime Minister`s
visit. Our personnel are keeping vigil. We are well prepared,"
Greater Chennai Police Commissioner J K Tripathy said.
Visiting the city for the second time this year, Singh
would arrive here on Sunday evening and spend the night at Raj
On December 26, the Prime Minister will inaugurate the
125th birth anniversary function of mathematician Srinivasa
Ramanujan at Madras University. The same day, Singh will fly
to Karaikudi to inaugurate Dr Ramanujan Centre for Higher
Mathematics at Alagappa University and inaugurate two
Earlier this week, Additional DGP (Law and Order) S
George reviewed the security arrangements in Tiruchirapalli
and Sivaganga districts.
Some political parties -- MDMK, DMDK, TMMK -- have
announced that they will stage black flag demonstrations
against the Prime Minister protesting Centre`s silence on
Mullaperiyar Dam issue over which Tamil Nadu is locked in a
row with Kerala over building a new reservoir in its place.
"If they show black flags, they will be arrested,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray