Self-styled godman Premananda passes away
Chennai: Self-styled godman Premananda,
convicted for rape and murder, died at a private hospital
here o Monday.
The 60-year-old Premananda, serving a double life-term for
rape and murder at his ashram in Tiruchirappalli in the early
90s, was not keeping well for some time and had been admitted
for a liver transplant, police said.
A controversial figure, the Sri Lankan born self-styled
godman had moved to India in the early 80s and established an
ashram at Tiruchirappalli.
Some Tamil films also had characters loosely based on him.
His devotees had claimed he had been framed and had even
launched campaigns, seeking justice for him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray