Senior official convicted for criminal conspiracy
Chennai: A CBI special court has convicted a
senior official of National Institute of Epidemiology here on
charges of criminal conspiracy.
In 2007, the CBI registered a case against J P Verma,
senior administrative officer at National Institute of
Epidemiology here and S Kumaran, former sales executive of a
private firm alleging they entered into a criminal conspiracy
in purchasing goods for the government and caused a wrongful
loss of Rs 1.70 lakhs, a CBI release said.
Epidemiology is the study of the distribution and
determinants of health-related states or events (including
disease), and the application of this study to the control of
diseases and other health problems.
The duo had bought eight computers and two CD writers at
exorbitant rates and thus made a wrongful loss to the
government, it said.
During investigation, Kumaran admitted his guilt and made a
confession statement under section 164 of the Code of Criminal
Procedure and was taken as an approver.
On November 21, on the basis of a report submitted by the
central investigating agency, Principal Special Judge for CBI
Cases Yousuf Ali convicted Verma under sections 120-B of the
Indian Penal Code and section 7 and sections 13(2) r/w
13(1)(d) of Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988, and sentenced
him to two years rigorous imprisonment and a total fine of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video