Separate governing body for Nilgiris suggested
Coimbatore: The International Climate
Champions of British Council, comprising 10 countries,
including India, UK and China, has suggested setting up of a
separate governing body for the Nilgiris Biosphere Reserve in
The body should be consisted of representatives from
bordering states of Kerala and Karnataka and local community.
The suggestion was part of `The Nilgiris Declaration`,
an outcome of the 7-day climate cChange camp, concluded at
Coonoor in Nilgiris district yesterday.
The declaration wanted Government to discourage and
restrict construction of buildings in landslide prone areas
and proper implementation of eco-tourism.
Suggesting 15 major measures to be taken by the end of
2015, it said progressive tax should be paid by tourist
service providers, which would go into conservation and
sustainable development of the Nilgiris mountains with
participation of local communities.
Introduction of proper waste management, planned drainage
system and eco-sanitation, introducing environmental education
and natural resource management from primary level of
education were some of the other measures, it said.
Known as Blue Mountains and declared as India`s first
biosphere, Nilgiris was undergoing many human induced impacts
such as deforestation and degradation of forests leading to
loss of flora and fauna and causing landslides. Climate change
had resulted in erratic rainfall and aggravated incidents of
landslides, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery