Separate governing body for Nilgiris suggested
Coimbatore: The International Climate
Champions of British Council, comprising 10 countries,
including India, UK and China, has suggested setting up of a
separate governing body for the Nilgiris Biosphere Reserve in
The body should be consisted of representatives from
bordering states of Kerala and Karnataka and local community.
The suggestion was part of `The Nilgiris Declaration`,
an outcome of the 7-day climate cChange camp, concluded at
Coonoor in Nilgiris district yesterday.
The declaration wanted Government to discourage and
restrict construction of buildings in landslide prone areas
and proper implementation of eco-tourism.
Suggesting 15 major measures to be taken by the end of
2015, it said progressive tax should be paid by tourist
service providers, which would go into conservation and
sustainable development of the Nilgiris mountains with
participation of local communities.
Introduction of proper waste management, planned drainage
system and eco-sanitation, introducing environmental education
and natural resource management from primary level of
education were some of the other measures, it said.
Known as Blue Mountains and declared as India`s first
biosphere, Nilgiris was undergoing many human induced impacts
such as deforestation and degradation of forests leading to
loss of flora and fauna and causing landslides. Climate change
had resulted in erratic rainfall and aggravated incidents of
landslides, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why