‘Separate Tamil nation will come into existence`
Chennai: Two days after welcoming the idea of a referendum for a separate `Eelam`, DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Thursday said the "blood spilt and the sacrifices made by Tamils" in Sri Lanka would not go waste and a separate nation will come into existence some day.
"A separate Tamil Eelam rings in the ears of Tamils living all over the world as a liberation song. The sacrifice of lives and the blood spilt by Tamil people in Sri Lanka would not go waste," he said in a letter to party workers.
The DMK leader said "if not tomorrow, Tamil Eelam will come into existence day after."
Referring to the demand for a UN-sponsored referendum for this purpose, Karunanidhi said countries including East Timor and South Sudan had come into existence following such an initiative by the international body.
He recalled earlier DMK resolution in 1983 demanding a separate homeland for Tamils, saying it was not possible for them to co-exist with the majority Sinhalas "in the wake of the genocide."
Karunanidhi had on April 17 welcomed the idea of a referendum for creation of a separate Tamil Ealam and called for India to play a role in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!