Seven-man gang that indulged in land fraud arrested
Madurai: A gang of seven has been arrested for
its alleged role in a major land fraud involving the sale of housing plots in various housing colonies in the district, police said.
SP Asra Garg told reporters yesterday that the gang had
prepared fake documents of various plots in nine housing
colonies in the district. The accused would use the documents
to threaten owners of new housing plots that one of the gang
members was the actual owner of the plot.
After swindling cash from the plot owners, they would again
sell the plot to somebody else, he said.
Garg said the gang had prepared fake documents for the
entire Park Town area in the district spreading 26 acres.
Adding that the gang was arrested yesterday following a
complaint from the secretary of the Park Town Residents`
Association, he said the fake documents were registered in the
sub-registrar office at By Pass road in Madurai.
The head of the seven-member gang, John Kennedy, was
absconding, he said, adding the gang had been indulging in
this type of crime for the past two years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon