Seven schoolkids killed in Tamil Nadu accident
Chennai: Seven school students, hitching a ride in a milk van, and the van`s driver died when their vehicle hit a bus in Tamil Nadu`s Pudukottai district on Wednesday, said police. Three other students were injured and have been admitted to hospital.
According to police, the students of the Government Higher Secondary School in Vallathirakottai village had taken a lift in the milk van to reach their school when the accident occurred.
Police and district administration officials rushed to the spot and supervised the rescue operations. Pudukottai is around 400 km from here.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa, in a statement issued here, condoled the death of the students and van driver and announced a solatium of Rs.100,000 each to their families.
She also announced compensation of Rs.25,000 to those who suffered serious injuries and Rs.10,000 for those who suffered less severe injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'