Seven schoolkids killed in Tamil Nadu accident
Chennai: Seven school students, hitching a ride in a milk van, and the van`s driver died when their vehicle hit a bus in Tamil Nadu`s Pudukottai district on Wednesday, said police. Three other students were injured and have been admitted to hospital.
According to police, the students of the Government Higher Secondary School in Vallathirakottai village had taken a lift in the milk van to reach their school when the accident occurred.
Police and district administration officials rushed to the spot and supervised the rescue operations. Pudukottai is around 400 km from here.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa, in a statement issued here, condoled the death of the students and van driver and announced a solatium of Rs.100,000 each to their families.
She also announced compensation of Rs.25,000 to those who suffered serious injuries and Rs.10,000 for those who suffered less severe injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!