Seven schoolkids killed in Tamil Nadu accident
Chennai: Seven school students, hitching a ride in a milk van, and the van`s driver died when their vehicle hit a bus in Tamil Nadu`s Pudukottai district on Wednesday, said police. Three other students were injured and have been admitted to hospital.
According to police, the students of the Government Higher Secondary School in Vallathirakottai village had taken a lift in the milk van to reach their school when the accident occurred.
Police and district administration officials rushed to the spot and supervised the rescue operations. Pudukottai is around 400 km from here.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa, in a statement issued here, condoled the death of the students and van driver and announced a solatium of Rs.100,000 each to their families.
She also announced compensation of Rs.25,000 to those who suffered serious injuries and Rs.10,000 for those who suffered less severe injuries.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane