Shaji Purushothaman directed to pay Rs 92,018 additional medical expenses
Chennai: The Madras High Court on Thursday directed Shaji Purushothaman, the prime accused in the May 23 Mercedes hit-and-run incident in which a boy was killed, to pay Rs 92,018 towards balance medical expenses of a girl who was injured.
On May 23, Shaji, son of a businessman, allegedly drove a car in a rash and negligent manner under influence of liquor, resulting in the death of the 13-year old boy and severe injuries to a minor girl.
Earlier the First Bench, comprising Acting Chief Justice Rajesh Kumar Agrawal and Justice M Sathyanarayanan, directed Shaji to pay an amount of Rs five lakh towards the medical expenses of the injured girl Subharakshita, which was already paid by Shaji.
The girl underwent surgery for implant removal on July 24 and is undergoing post operative physiotherapy.
The bills raised by the hospital showed a balance amount of Rs 92018, which was accepted by Shaji`s counsel who said it would be paid to the hospital directly.
The counsel further submitted that Shaji may be directed to contact the victim`s family enabling him to pay the medical expenses directly to them as and whenever required.
The bench directed Shaji to pay Rs 92,018 to the hospital by tomorrow and posted the matter for further hearing on September 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan