Shops and trade closed in parts of Coimbatore
Coimbatore: More than 1,000 shops and traders downed shutters today, responding to the call given by some Hindu outfits for `a closure` in some parts of the city, to protest against displacement of an idol in a 100-year old temple near Kuniyamuthur, a week ago.
Hindu Makkal Katchi, Hanuman Sena and a few other Hindu outfits had given call for the `closure of shops` in Sundarapuram, Selvapuram, Podanur, Kuniyamuthur and Madukkarai, seeking immediate arrest of the culprits, involved in the act in the temple, police said.
Accordingly, majority of the shops were closed in parts of Selvapuram, Kovaipudur, Madukkarai and Kuniyamuthur, they said, adding, tight police security was in place to prevent any problem.
An idol was displaced in Veeerakaliamman temple in Kuniyamuthur, which resulted in tension a week ago, as large number of people, belonging to a particular caste resorted to picketing by squatting on Palakkad main road.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday