Shops and trade closed in parts of Coimbatore
Coimbatore: More than 1,000 shops and traders downed shutters today, responding to the call given by some Hindu outfits for `a closure` in some parts of the city, to protest against displacement of an idol in a 100-year old temple near Kuniyamuthur, a week ago.
Hindu Makkal Katchi, Hanuman Sena and a few other Hindu outfits had given call for the `closure of shops` in Sundarapuram, Selvapuram, Podanur, Kuniyamuthur and Madukkarai, seeking immediate arrest of the culprits, involved in the act in the temple, police said.
Accordingly, majority of the shops were closed in parts of Selvapuram, Kovaipudur, Madukkarai and Kuniyamuthur, they said, adding, tight police security was in place to prevent any problem.
An idol was displaced in Veeerakaliamman temple in Kuniyamuthur, which resulted in tension a week ago, as large number of people, belonging to a particular caste resorted to picketing by squatting on Palakkad main road.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof