Shops and trade closed in parts of Coimbatore
Coimbatore: More than 1,000 shops and traders downed shutters today, responding to the call given by some Hindu outfits for `a closure` in some parts of the city, to protest against displacement of an idol in a 100-year old temple near Kuniyamuthur, a week ago.
Hindu Makkal Katchi, Hanuman Sena and a few other Hindu outfits had given call for the `closure of shops` in Sundarapuram, Selvapuram, Podanur, Kuniyamuthur and Madukkarai, seeking immediate arrest of the culprits, involved in the act in the temple, police said.
Accordingly, majority of the shops were closed in parts of Selvapuram, Kovaipudur, Madukkarai and Kuniyamuthur, they said, adding, tight police security was in place to prevent any problem.
An idol was displaced in Veeerakaliamman temple in Kuniyamuthur, which resulted in tension a week ago, as large number of people, belonging to a particular caste resorted to picketing by squatting on Palakkad main road.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack