Shops closed in Tirupur, stone pelting on buses during bandh
Coimbatore: Almost all shops and trades were closed on Tuesday in nearby Tirupur, and four persons, including the driver of a state government bus, were injured in stone pelting in Pongalur, in response to the bandh call given by Hindu Munnani to condemn the killing of its secretary, Vellayan in Vellore yesterday.
According to police, shops and trades, including hotels and petty tea shops downed their shutters and 20 per cent of nearly 5,000 garment making units, were also closed, to express solidarity with the bandh.
However, buses, taxies and autorickshaws and other mode of transports plied as usual, they said.
While four persons, including the driver, were injured in stone pelting by Munnani workers on a State government bus in Pongalur, four workers were taken into custody, or pelting stone on another bus, the window pane of which was broken, on Tirupur-Mettupalayam Road, police said.
Though majority of the shops were closed in Coonoor in Nilgiris district, they were opened after 11 am, police said.
Meanwhile, about 150 Munnani workers were arrested here, for attempting to stage demonstration to condemn the killing of Vellayan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing